Job Request Form
Our Mission Statement
The Big Event at Virginia Tech is a student-run community service effort that has grown into the 2nd largest event of its kind in the nation. Every spring, thousands of students, faculty, and staff come together to complete hundreds of community service projects throughout Blacksburg, Christiansburg and the New River Valley.
Projects are completed regardless of need or socioeconomic status; instead, it is The Big Event’s goal to simply say, “Thank you.” Seeded in our university’s motto of Ut Prosim (That I may serve) students and community members come together for a truly unparalleled experience. The Big Event: “One Big Day. One Big Thanks.” Liability Agreement I understand that The Big Event, of which I plan to be a participant, involves certain risks and that regardless of the precautions taken by The Big Event, some bodily injuries may occur. Specific risks/hazards involved in The Big Event include but are not limited to the following: (1) auto accidents while traveling to and from the job sites in the community; (2) dehydration; (3) physical injury sustained while participating at community job sites; and (4) medical problems such as illness, allergies, etc.
- In consideration for receiving permission to participate in The Big Event at Virginia Tech, I hereby release, waive, discharge, and covenant not to sue, and agree to hold harmless for any and all purposes, The Big Event, Virginia Tech, the Commonwealth of Virginia, The Virginia Tech Board of Visitors, and their officers, servants, agents, volunteers, or employees (herein referred to as RELEASEES) from ANY AND ALL LIABILITIES, CLAIMS, DEMANDS, OR INJURY, INCLUDING DEATH, that may be sustained by me while participating in such activity, or while on the premises that is owned, leased, or controlled by RELEASEES, including travel to and from The Big Event activities, including injuries sustained as a result of the negligence of RELEASEES. I understand this release does not apply to injuries caused by intentional or grossly negligent conduct on the part of the RELEASEES. I understand The Big Event and Virginia Tech are separate legal entities.
- I am fully aware that there are inherent risks involved with The Big Event and I choose to voluntarily participate in said activity with full knowledge that said activity may be hazardous to me and my property. I acknowledge there may be physically strenuous activities. I know of no medical reason why I should not participate. I voluntarily assume full responsibility for any risks of loss, property damage, or personal injury, including death, which may be sustained by me as a result of participating in said activity including injuries sustained as a result of the negligence of RELEASEES. I further agree to indemnify and hold harmless the RELEASEES for any loss, liability, damage or costs, including court costs and attorney's fees, that may occur as a result of my participation in said activity including injuries sustained as a result of the negligence of RELEASEES. I understand this agreement to indemnify and hold harmless does not apply to injuries caused by intentional or grossly negligent conduct.
- I understand that RELEASEES may not maintain any insurance policy covering any circumstance arising from my participation in this activity or any event related to that participation. As such, I am aware that I should review my personal insurance coverage.
- It is my express intent that this Release shall bind the members of my family and spouse if I am alive, and my heirs, assigns, and personal representatives if I am deceased, and shall be governed by laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- I understand RELEASEES cannot be expected to control all of the risks articulated in this form but RELEASEES may need to respond to accidents and potential emergency situations. Therefore, I hereby give my consent for any medical treatment that may be required during my participation with the understanding that the cost of any such treatment will be my responsibility. I agree to indemnify and hold harmless RELEASEES for any costs incurred to treat me, even if a RELEASEE has signed hospital documentation promising to pay for the treatment due to my inability to sign the documentation.
- In signing this Release, I acknowledge and represent that I have read it, understand it, and sign it voluntarily as my own free act and deed; no oral representations, statements, or inducements, apart from the foregoing agreement that has been reduced to writing have been made. I execute this document for full, adequate, and complete consideration fully intending to be bound by the same, now and in the future. I represent that I am eighteen (18) years of age or older and am otherwise competent to executive this agreement. I consent to the information on this form being shared with The Big Event Advisors, Executive Team, and The Big Event Committee.